Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Welcome to The Vingar Worm Redux







This is the first installment of The Vinegar Worm Redux.  My goal is to share the writing of my father, Bob Leman.  Whenever I Google "Bob Leman" I find postings from folks asking about his stories, so I know there is at least some small interest out there.  I did inherit some qualities from my dad, but writing wasn't one of them. Therefore, I will mostly fill this site with his words, not mine.

My father's fanzine was called The Vinegar Worm and I am lucky enough to have copies of all of them.  I believe he had a short lived zine prior to that, but I do not have those (if anyone has any copies please let me know).  I plan to post each issue in its entirety, but not all at once.
 

I will also include some of his doodles, cartoons and puns.  We came across a variety of his meanderings as well as an unfinished novel.  I'll include what I can.

I'm hoping there will be some response.  I hope you will forgive my poor typing skills and be patient, as it will take me some time to get each post put together.

Please feel free to send questions and comments. 


8 comments:

  1. Hello! I search on the name "Bob Leman" every so often, and am really happy to see something new about your father's work. My collection of F&SF is pretty sparse but I do have three issues with Bob Leman stories (I kept those issues for the sake of those stories),

    Hoping to see more soon, and good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again, this is same "Anonymous" as above... I had to try several times to get the blog software to accept my comment -- it wanted me to prove I wasn't a robot and the tests it set me seemed kind of ambiguous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! I'm glad someone saw this. I am going to post a new entry today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No longer Anonymous, I await.

      Question? Why was his zine named "Vinegar Worm"?

      Delete
  4. I can't say exactly. Certain words and phrases seemed funny or interesting to him and he'd use them whenever he could. My guess is he just thought it was an interesting term...usually you see "vinegar eel", so he made have changed it. He liked playing with words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Leman,

    I just wanted to thank you. I've only read three of Bob Leman's stories ("Loob", "Window", and "Instructions"), but they've each left an impression on me, and I'd love to hear more about them and him.

    Wishing you well,
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Frances. I've been very slow to get this going, but I do plan to get going on this and begin with the old Vinegar Worms, plus some exciting news about new projects. Keep checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening

    I read Window years ago and the story stayed with me. I never forgot it and actually found an episode of Night Vision with the story acted by Bill Pullman. I was so excited to watch it!

    I'm been trying to find books or ways to read more of your dad's work but it isn't easy so I'm very glad I found your blog and look forward to seeing more.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete